Located on east bank of Mississippi River, about twenty-five miles upriver from Nauvoo. Laid out by Robert McQueen and Charles A. Smith, 1836. Location for landing rafts of lumber cut in Wisconsin Territory forests. Population never exceeded 300. Joseph Smith visited area, Feb.-May 1843, with interest in initiating Latter-day Saint settlement. Smith purchased thirty-nine lots in town, 20 Feb. 1843.
Retrieved with permission from The Joseph Smith Papers.