La Harpe, Illinois
Located about twenty-five miles east of Nauvoo. Settled 1830. Originally called Franklin. Developed, platted, and renamed La Harpe, by 1836. Immigration and missionary work led to creation of branch of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in area, 17 Apr. 1841. Latter-day Saint population by 1845 about 250.
Retrieved with permission from The Joseph Smith Papers.